Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Building Commitment and a Postive Attitude

The work of a woodpecker is never done until is the spirit is returned. 

Building commitment to recovery and developing a more positive attitude have been just two of the areas that the program has been instrumental in identification of and development for me. I can also express gratitude for that development. Growth has it's issues and surprises, it's glory and defeats, it's rewards and costs.

Step 1 reminds my that there is much of my life that I have no control over. I have control over that which is truly mine to control, my thoughts, judgements, decisions, my mission in life, and the like. I can plan and do, but the the accomplishments must be left to fate, as the world around me has its own agendas. It reminds me that I am powerless over the effect of the chemical I intake; my only control is over the intake, and then only if I provide alternatives to satisfy the body. Natural desires will win in the long run.

Step 2 reminds me that it is my reaction to my belief system that controls my behaviors. It is part of my belief system to recognize that I have influence over my belief system, and I can change it over time. Step 3 is deciding to change, and that can become my mission in life, to change myself to be a non-overeating person, even with a physical high drive for food, if fate permits.

Steps 4,5,6,7 identify the negatives use of personality characteristics, we also need to consider Losada ratio and do the equivalent with positives use of our characteristics, as well as identify our characteristics.

Steps 8 and 9 help clean up old relationships. Those we wish to maintain, and those we wish to abandon, and those which are not what we would like them to be. It is impossible to have a positive relationship with a negative person, but we can learn active and passive response methods, constructive or destructive response, and do the self protection thing in any relatioship.

Step 10 and 11 are part of the daily routine of growth, expansion of our knowledge and change for the better in any number of ways. Step 12 completes the circle by carrying our philosophy to others who want it. We need to have a clear understanding of our philosophy, the logic, and our belief system.

Although the program is what it is, the processes described in the step appear in many different forms and are expressed many different ways. There is some underlying commonality to so many self-help, psychological tools, methods, philosophy's, that there must be something there.

Its is an ongoing effort that we all must make to prosper in life and growth, and fellowship. If we do not hang together, we will hang separately. Oh well.

Enough      

No comments: