Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Social Needs

How high is your social need? I am not really talking about Maslow's social need but how much "social need" do you have? How many hours per day do you want to be with other people, in discussion, or in sharing a activity? I, personally, have fairly low social need, but I do need some.

I once knew a young lady, we were both young then, who could not be by herself without getting stressed. Turns out, she had come from a big intermeshed family, and liked it. She, literately, could not stand to be alone. I, on the other hand, need little social contact. Looking back on family history, I have a grandfather who was high social, who needed a lot of social contact. His brother needed very little, but was social when to opportunity presented its self but in a few hours got antsy to get under way.

Also note that our social need can vary over time, and intensity will also impact the amount we need. A few hours of sharing a common activity may be adequate, while a few minutes of serious discussion may be too much. 

Do (I) you get enough social contact or too much?  Is work more than enough, even too much, or to little? It it causing stress in your life or boredom?

1 comment:

zanjabil said...

I have a very low social need on a daily basis. But it does catch up with me and then I do something really social for a few hours, then I get over stimulated and I'm good for weeks or months. I have a husband and 4 sons, so I think I my need is lack of female companionship. I grew up in a big family, 3 brothers, 3 sisters. I enjoyed their company, but I always had to close myself up in my room with a book to download from all the stimuli of interacting with them.