Friday, October 28, 2011

Step 1

Step one is a big undertaking. This is when we need to recognize that some foods are addicting or produce addiction like behavior. In my case, those food are sugar in all forms, grains, especially wheat, cheese, and nuts. Omega 6 oils are also an problem, so I include these in the food that I should not consume. My life was and is unmanageable when it came to food. All I need to do is eat any of these, and I am right back craving them, until once again, I get them out, steel my resolve, work some more of the program, and get back to life free of these addictive food. Yes, I do occasional eat them. I am not cured. The trick is to dust off the crumbs, and get to a meeting.

Wheat was the hardest of the lot to give up. First I gave up sugar, which was difficult, but I was truly addicted to wheat. When I gave up wheat, my hands started working again, and I lost weight rapidly. I have not eaten any wheat knowingly since giving it up. Sugar, I let a bit in, when it is down the list of ingredients, or I just have a taste. The other grains are not much of an issue; oats makes me itch; and I never ate much of others. Rice and corn are less of an issue, but rice raises my blood glucose rapidly, hence must be limited severely.

I now tend to eat meat and green vegetables mainly, with a few roots and the odd bit of fruit. Then there are the days when I fall off, and eat a bunch of fruit, excessive amounts of cured meat, cheese, nuts, fruit and the like. Get up, dust off the crumbs and go to the next available meeting, or now write a post.

All this proves that I have no control of myself with respect to food. I know that specific food are addicting, through the dopamine pathway, and specific foods cause insulin spikes, cravings and other things that drive me to the food. These details are not important to the only known treatment: abstinence.  That is the zero step.

Would any one like too share your strength, hope and experience? Please do so in the comments.

No comments: